Questions and Tips to Find Information
Questions ReceivedIf you have questions of a general nature, please contact me and I will post them here. Someone visiting the site might be able to answer the question. If you know the answer to a question, please send the information and I will post it here. Questions about specific individuals or other specific questions will be posted on the appropriate pages. Thank you, Connie
Question: Is it possible to have corrections made to the spelling of names on The Wall? What is the procedure, if it is possible?
LCDR HARRY C. Martin; to anyone who knew or has info on my father, would be appreciated. I'm still trying to find out how to change the misspelling of his name on "the Wall" after 26 yrs. of service in the Navy. Thanks,..his son,former Marine,Naval Reservist,DOD Police...Jon Martin - jonam55 (AT symbol) netzero.net
Question: Were all of the servicemen who were on PR 26 members of the PR 26 crew or were some being ferried to Danang?
Question: What was the crew number of the servicemen on PR26?
Question: What would be some ways to locate crew pictures?
Question: If I understand correctly, the men of PR 26 were stationed at Atsugi, but would fly to Danang. Would they stay in Danang and do missions from there or was this one of the stops on a series of stops?
Question: Would some remain at Danang while the others went out on a mission? Are these things that can be told?
Dorian H. O'Daniels, ATC(retired), Crew 32 & others; alias' - SFO, "O'D", Chief "O'D" - DorianOD2 (AT symbol) netscape.net
Question: received 17 Feb 2003: My husband's record show an overseas assignment ART this was in 1948 can anyone tell me where that was and also looking to Find out what was the US Army Base at Ft Churchill, Canada also in that time period.1949-50; ThankYou, Grace Sinclair SSCgrace (AT symbol) aol.com
Tips on Finding Information
about Family Members or Other Information
These sites have links to each name on the wall. You can leave a tribute for your loved one hear. You may find a tribute left from someone else:
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall Page - http://thewall-usa.com/ - "The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall Page is dedicated to honoring those who died in the Vietnam War. Since it first went on line in 1996 it has evolved into something more. It is now also a place of healing for those affected by one of the most divisive wars in our nation's history."
The Virtual Wall - http://www.thevirtualwall.org/ - "Welcome to the Virtual Wall, a digital, interactive legacy memorializing the men and women who gave their lives in Vietnam.
Sometimes you will be successful in contacting someone who knew your loved one by posting on Message Boards. You can post on the Message Board or Guestbook here at my site. Here are some excellent sites where you can post. You can also view the entries left by others:
- U. S. Navy Patrol Squadrons - http://www.vpnavy.com/guestbook.html Click where it says "Yes, I would like to ADD "MY" COMMENTS to the U. S. Navy Patrol Squadrons Site! All Guestbook Entries will be moved to the appropriate Squadron(s) and Summary Page(s)." Your entry will appear in the guestbook and will be added where determined appropriate by the webmaster.
- The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall Page Message Center - http://thewall-usa.com/cgi-bin/mboard.cgi
- The Continuum Logbook (with frames) - http://www.viablewebsolutions.com/vq/survivor.html
- The Continuum Logbook (without frames) - http://www.viablewebsolutions.com/vq/noframes.html
The following sites will help you obtain various kinds of information:
- U. S. Navy Safety Center Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) - http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/foia/default.htm -This site has a link that explains how to send a written request by e-mail or snail mail.
- Department of the Navy - Naval Aviation History Branch - http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/nhcorg4.htm
- This site gives instructions on obtaining records, such as accident reports, aircraft history cards, photographs and other records from the Department of the Navy. I tried this site. It suggested I contact the Navy Safety Center. http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org4-2.htm
- This Department of the Navy site gives information and sources about patches, insignia and plaques - http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq5-1.htm
- Department of the Navy, Navy Aviation History Office - Shows patches for VQ-1: http://www.history.navy.mil/insignia/vq/vq-i.html
- Department of Defense FAQ site - Gives directions on obtaining many types of information. - http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.www/faq.html
- Insignia for Officers: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/allhands/ranks/officers/o-rank.html
- U.S. Navy Ranks and Rates: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/allhands/ah0197/rankrate.html
- National Archives and Records Administration - I was able to obtain my brothers military records since my parents are both deceased. The information at the following site will tell you how to do this. http://www.nara.gov/regional/mprpub1a.html
The following sites also give suggestions on finding people:
- No-Quarter - http://www.no-quarter.org/newpages/nqg_links.html#findpeople -
DIRSUP Aircrew Operations, including a list of "VQ-1 and VQ-2 Fatalities 1950 - 1987" compiled by Chuck Huber